Wednesday 31 December 2014

Wheel of the Year (interim)

In essence, this is the Pagan calendar, which is based - in the Northern European (or perhaps British/Celtic/Gaulish?) tradition on 8 major festivals, or Sabbats, which mark the progress of the agricultural year.

Pending preparation of a proper definition, I'll post the following chart, which I made as part of my early studies of Wicca. This is, of course, based on the Southern Hemisphere seasons: if you are in the Northern Hemisphere, you will have to shift everything six months.

There is also discussion as to whether or not this should be adapted to the seasons of other lands. Personally, I think that makes sense, and that is behind my attempts to develop a set of rituals based on the seasons identified by the local Kulin people, which is a gatherer-hunter (I use the reversed wording to acknowledge that it was possibly the gathering that was more significant) calendar. My introduction to those rituals in my summary of rituals post is:
NOTE: these are NOT indigenous rituals - I am not indigenous, and have had no training on rituals of the Kulin or any other indigenous peoples - and I know, from my brother, who has worked with indigenous people in NSW most of his life, and one of my sisters, who was married to an indigenous bloke in WA, that there are rich and effective indigenous rituals - but I do NOT know the details, OK? :) . This is my attempt at an adaptation of Wiccan rituals to Australia - specifically, that part around Melbourne which is the Kulin people's lands, based on what little I know of about their system of seasons. If you want to know more about indigenous rituals, find an indigenous person and PROVE yourself worthy of their trust and HOPE you may be then also found worthy of being allowed to know a little - and do not patronise, nor presume you have any right to such knowledge, along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.