Sunday 7 June 2015

emotions [Content Warning: discussion includes "negative" emotions, harm, and trauma]

PS - see also Karla  McLaren

PPS - I have now found the concept of primary and secondary emotions - in which anger is a secondary emotion. That is a much more elegant way of putting it than as I have  ("I consider anger to be an expression of something else", and 022. Anger is Not an Emotion)

PPPS - the disturbing problems - including toxic masculinity and failure to address causes - of anger management courses 

PPPPS - see also   https://gnwmythrsglossary.blogspot.com/2023/09/aspects-of-character-content-warning.html    

I'm putting this post here so I can create a ready point of reference for times that I want to find what I've written previously about emotions. I'll aim to keep updating this - and I know what I provide here is, at this first posting, based on the section in my bibliography, is already out of date, but it is a start.

One of the major posts I have done since then is:
   Post No. 708 - How do I clear or channel specific emotion ‘X’?

Another has been on trauma

A lot of my work is aimed at finding a way to classify and work with emotions. Others, obviously, have also considered this  for instance, see here, here and here. In my case, I find looking at emotions as combinations of the five elements useful.

I examine emotions as (a) a combination of the elements to varying degrees, and with different balance between inward and outward focus - although that is a simplification, as I should also look at clarity of each elemental energy, and movement. As an example, surprise could be a sudden change of focus of air (thought) from inward to outward focus; fear, which some people consider to be a variation of surprise, would probably have other energies, including inward focused water and awareness.

The ideal would be for all to be in balance, clear and accessible, which I would show like this:

Anger - and this is a simplification as I consider anger to be an expression of something else - I would show as an excess of outward focused fire energy, perhaps with some inward-focused water because of the selfishness of rage. Earth and Aether would be greatly reduced, possibly also air. (Passion, if it is healthy and for something of benefit to others, would come with a good combination of other elements being present in healthy quantities, unlike the diagram below, where they are mostly diminished or out of balance. Unhealthy passion - including addiction - would be dominated by an excess of inward-focused fire ...)

This shows a way I can work with this emotion: air controls fire, so use air. Since the fire is out of balance by being too outward focused (I find anger with an inward focus tends to show as one of the many forms of depression), air with an inward focused  i.e., reflection, self analysis, "thinking about things", counselling, anger management tools, counting to ten :) , etc. If this adequately draws the fire back into balance, it should also result in generation of earthy energies, which are, in themselves, further stabilising.


Disgust, on the other hand, is an emotion that I consider often has a social element to it - those we respect or look up to or adore as kids say that "X" is disgusting, and for the sake of their approval, we also LEARN to view that as disgusting. Thus, I would show disgust as a combination of the unbalanced, outward-focused fire of anger with an excessive outward focus of water, as it is still about wanting others' approval. The lack of awareness means air is greatly diminished, and the emotion indicates a diminishment of Aether.


I haven't worked out an energetic way to rebalance this particular state of being as yet - perhaps you, Dear Reader, can :)

As I keep working through this, I will add more on this, and specific emotions here. Now, the links - and a few diagrams of energy. 

Anger
   022. Anger is Not an Emotion;
   http://www.dailylife.com.au/news-and-views/dl-opinion/why-we-are-all-so-angry-20160711-gq3hpy.html:



Confidence 
   215. Confidence;

Denial 
   214. Denial and Other Personal Negative Shields and Barriers, or What I Have Learned From Being Trans;

Doubt
   dealing with doubt;

Fear 
   178. Fear;

Forgiveness 
   230. Forgiveness;
  from here: "forgiveness does not subvert justice ... is not forgetting ... is not quick ... but I have forgiven and so I am not chained - I am free";
   an excellent article from John Beckett 

Grief 
   142. Grief;

Guilt 

"the guilt of not working more, when we’re done for the day"

Happiness
   "don't worry, be happy and other abusive folk wisdom";

Hate 
   119. Hatred, and pouring oil onto ... oil;
  
Hope 
   538.  Hope;

Jealousy 
   304. Jealousy;

Judgement 
   102. Judging Others: People Who Experience a Lot;

A couple of decades ago, while working on a book on rescue which I never finished, I did a few - lighthearted - sketches to help illustrate what I was writing about. The following sketch was to show the importance of not judging a book by it's cover, as the "Wild Pig" (or perhaps ... "Cool Pig" ... and there is a long story behind using that character!) was the teaching character I used in the series of sketches (incidentally, I had intended to redraw these to be a bit more distinct, but as I haven't had time to do so over the last few decades, I've decided to post them now, as they are  with a hope they may be of some use or lead to someone doing something better):



 ... and the rest 
    074. Isa Mawt Tat: Emotions I Am Not;
   097. What do I do when my soul's a drama queen, dahling?;
   145. Others' Feelings;
   181. A Coupla Quick Thoughts: Fatigue and Ashramas; 
   183. Avoiding Positive Energy; 
   197. Personality;
   256. Family of Choice;
    221. Inappropriate Reactions to (Agape) Love; 
   239. Random Thoughts;
   303. Realisation;  


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.