insert pejorative of choice
Swearing - or profanity, if you prefer - can have an emotional benefit when it is a release – which even has its own word: lalochezia (definitions at The Free Dictionary, Wiktionary, and Emma Wilkin). (For more on this, see The Conversation, APA, Science Daily, Science Direct [includes commentary on what isn’t known], Therapy Tips [benefits include pain relief, emotional regulation, self-confidence, and managing social rejection, but if overused the benefits are lost], NeuroLaunch [fast emotional release, may indicate more honest, but can also mask unresolved anger or anxiety – context etc indicates whether will harm relationships/credibility], Brain Health University, and NPR.)
It can also be just a form of verbal abuse, but for the occasions where swearing is necessary as a form of release, given that so many swear words can genuinely be problematic for valid reasons, I have started using “IPOC” - which stands for “insert pejorative of choice”. (Sometimes I use “ED”, which means “expletive deleted”, but that comes across to me as an insipid editing notation, and doesn’t inspire to rethink anything.)
It gives me that momentary release, and reminds me to see if I can find a better (more constructive) way to deal with the situation. I prefer that to screaming, which can also upset people, and I am from a generation and worked (when I first came up with this) in a backwards profession where crying is actively discouraged and can lead to personal retribution (real world consequences being a factor too often forgotten).
For my original writing ONLY on this blog:
Copyright © Kayleen White 2016-2025
NO AI I do not consent to any machine learning aka Artificial Intelligence (AI), generative AI, large language model, machine learning, chatbot, or other automated analysis, generative process, or replication program to reproduce, mimic, remix, summarise, or otherwise replicate any part of this post or other posts on this blog via any means. Typo’s may be inserrted deliberately to demonstrate this is not an AI product. Otherwise, fair and reasonable use is accepted under Creative Commons 4.0 on an Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike basis https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
Links to others works and excerpts from others works are NOT covered by the hereinbefore, and remain subject to the conditions of the original source.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.